Re: [DMCForum] Re: Just don't look at it

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Just don't look at it

> The steering wandered just a bit.

Did you have to swerve for any pink elephants, and how much were you
drinking?

> I take this
to be because I still haven't replaced the tie rod ends.

To second what Bill said, having the wheels misaligned can cause the
steering to wander.  And if you already had an alignment, make sure they
used the proper spec and not a guess.  And before you have an alignment,
check to make sure that nothing is loose -- tie-rod ends, ball joints or
whatever.

Pick up the front of the car such that the front wheels are hanging.  With
the steering wheel locked, try moving the wheels in every direction.  The
rule I go by for DeLoreans is that if I feel any play when I shake the
wheel
(tire) then there is a problem.  I've checked this on about 6 DeLoreans.
One had a bad ball joint that affected handling as well as could be barely
felt by shaking the wheel.  Another had a bad wheel bearing, but this
wasn't
bad enough to be felt by shaking the wheel.  (We could only hear it while
turning left.)  So what I'm saying is that if you can feel it by shaking
the
tire, then it is really bad.  And if you feel no looseness by hand that
doesn't necessarily mean that everything is good either.

Also check for play from the rack back to the steering wheel.  And make
sure
that the steering rack has oil in it and no torn boots.

> It was great
compared to the way it was though.

Man, it sounded like the wheels were ready to fall off.

> As far as Pigeon Forge goes...I don't know if I should push it.

The proper question to ask is not SHOULD you push it but will you have to
push it very far until a tow truck comes?  ;-)

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yahoo.co
m/universal/intolerablecruelty/>