[DMCForum] Re: regraining stainless - Rick?

[DMCForum] Re: regraining stainless - Rick?

Hi John.

I resurfaced my car with a homemade disk made from five 6" diameter
floor buffing pads bolted together onto a long 5/16" screw with
hexnuts and fender washers.  The whole assembly was rotated with a
powerdrill.  The buffing pads were a 3m product similar to the green
scotchbright people use to scrub their cars, but much coarser.  This
worked very well for me.

I've never used sandpaper, so I can't comment.  I have, however used
little 4" diameter flap wheels, which is where the "day and a half to
screw it up" part of my website comes from.  They weren't floppy
enough, and the edges dug into the stainless.

The homemade buffing pad thing was much better.  The finish is pretty
close to factory, but I had an unfair advantage, in that I did the
whole car, so it didn't matter if it matched or not.  If I were doing
a spot repair, I would test my tool, whether homemade or not, for
texture match on an inconspicuous location first, before going on to
do the hood. I tested mine on the inside of the fenders.

Also, the hood is not strong.  Use only very light pressure.  The
hood will fold about the supports underneath, and leave visible
creases which vary in depth with the pressure used.  Even with the
really light pressure I used, you can still sort of see the creases.
Someone better than I could maybe avoid it.

Follow the established grain, of course.

Rick.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Dore" <dmcjohn@xxxx> wrote:
> Rick,
> I saw on your website the job you did regraining the body of your
> monster, any tips? You seem to have done a fantastic job in this
> picture:
> http://www.gendreaumicro.com/tenpointtwo/pictures/b23.jpg
> In another pic you seem to be using a power tool?
> Any tips are greatly appreciated from anyone on this, I have a bad
> scratch on my hood that I'd love to get rid of. I have heard of
using
> 80 grit, then 120 grit sandpaper?
> THanks,
> John.