[DMCForum] Re: Compression Question

Walt,

I totally agree that putting oil in the cylinder tops gives a false
reading. I think you were on hiatus at the time...

The reason I did that was because I had NO oil pressure. No oil flow.
I put MMO in the tops to lube the cylinders to get the engine to
crank faster to build compression and the wheels on the bus go round
and round, round and round....

I was following a lead from a similar problem that Dave S. had with
an old DeSoto.

Now that I have real oil pressure, it would be worth it to do a
compression check.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > What kind of readings are other people getting?
>
> I tested one engine while doing a valve adjustment.  This one had
53K miles
> and one valve that rattles.
>
> Cylinder, PSI
> 4 = 121 (guess which one has the valve that rattles)
>
> We checked this with the engine dry (i.e., didn't pour oil in the
spark plug
> holes.)
>
> I don't think that oiling the engine will really give a true
compression
> reading anyway.    I'm sure that enough thick oil could clog any
compression
> leak.
>
> This was almost a year ago and the engine is still running fine
(per se) in
> a daily driver.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3856299.5103760.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512