[DMCForum] Basic reactor theory (was: Re: DMCForum.org)

[DMCForum] Basic reactor theory (was: Re: DMCForum.org)

The reactor is kept in a pool more for shielding than for cooling.

Ionizing radiation particles are lightest to heaviest in the
following order:

Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Neutron

Water (H2O, especially the hydrogen part) is the cheapest, most
abundant element heavy enough to block neutron radiation. Hence the
pool. Lead doesn't cut it. It blows right through.

Alpha and Beta are blocked easily enough by your skin and clothing. I
think gamma is stopped by lead shielding if I remember right.

>From my first boat, we had several people who work "up against" the
reactor get testicular and thyroid cancer. Aux Machinery #1, the
torpedo room and the radio room (where I worked) are up against it.
One monkey's mate, one torpedoman and my Chief all got cancer, all
within a few years of each other. It may be un-related but I've
been "checking myself" monthly ever since.

So now ya know!

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxx>
wrote:
> I could use the swimming pool to cool the reactor like in Maniac
Mansion.

<tgoodwin@xxxx>

click here