RE: [DMCForum] Polished valve covers and new belts

RE: [DMCForum] Polished valve covers and new belts

I wouldn't do it unless you plan to do the entire engine. Polished valve
covers will stand out like a turd in a punch bowl. I just cleaned mine
with
some cleaner and used a wire brush. They turned out pretty good, I think.

>     for the left hand side several components will
> have to be moved out of the way, including the AC.
> This would be a good time to replace both belts.
>
> correct me if im wrong, the tension for the alternator
> side is adjusted on the alternator bracket itself...
> for the belt on the AC side im not quite sure, any
> info would be appreciated.

There's a bracket that runs just beneath the AC compressor. It has two
bolts
that hold it to the timing cover and a long screw on the side that applies
can be adjusted to stretch the belt. To loosen/tighten the AC belt, lossen
the two bolts slightly and turn the side screw. It'll make more sense when
you look at it.

>     I have a new set of gaskets for the valve covers
> but would prefer a higher quality volvo felpro gasket
> is possible, does anyone know a good place to order
> this?

The Felpro gaskets are the same, that thin paper-like material.

>     Is there a torque / retorque specification for
> these valve covers?

Valve cover torque is 11 lbs or 15 Nm.

> the belts and valve cover removals will be turned into
> new howto's

It's very simple. The only thing you have to take off and set to the side
is
the AC compressor. Email me if you have any questions.

> thanx
>
> jordan 11613
>
> http://retroserver.no-ip.com

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512