Re: [DMCForum] Adam's fender bender today (and hood bender, and fascia s

Re: [DMCForum] Adam's fender bender today (and hood bender, and fascia smasher etc)

I'm ba...aack!

Well I'm still a few hundred e-mails behind since my line was cut.
Anyway,
I'm now the proud owner of what is left of Adam's car.  It really broke my
heart to see Adam watching from his driveway as I towed it home.  The
damage
is a lot worse than it looks in the photos.  Probably the worst damage
sustained is to the title.  As Florida law seems to work, in order to
receive the insurance money, he had to forfeit the title to the insurance
company who then gives it to the state where it apparently dissolves.  If
you are ever to get a tag-able title to it again, that involves a good
deal
of red tape.

He was going about 40mph as he rear-ended a stationary truck.  It's a good
thing he was wearing a seat belt.  It looks like his right knee did a
number
on the knee pad knocking it loose.  He pushed the truck forward a bit
which
helped cushion the blow.  It contacted mostly on the right front and high
enough to go over the crumple tube.  It somehow pushed the crumple tube
down
and buckled the shock tower up.  The front of the frame rearward of the
crumple tubes looks twisted from underneath.  Both front wheels lean to
the
left by the same amount (quite a lot, really).  Miraculously the left
front
fender is not damaged, but the fascia is torn where it butts up against
it.
The fiberglass is smashed all across the front even into the spare tire
well
and brake master cylinder access panel.  The hinge points for the hood are
totally broken away.  The well for the body bolt above the right shock
tower
is shifted relative to the frame by about 10mm.  The radiator is folded in
half lengthwise.  The cooling fans are history.  The left motor mount
sheared, and the engine on that side as shifted forward.  It's nearly
impossible to shift it into reverse.  Despite all this I'm still able to
drive the car short distances (very, very short distances).  It looks like
the fiberglass damage is limited to the front.  (I was worried that it did
James LaLonde and cracked through the center console.)  The windshield
didn't break.  The doors are undamaged and open & close properly.  Except
for the accident the car is (was) a good daily driver.

My long term goal is to restore the car (and title), but in the short term
I'm going to borrow the engine and many other parts to fix other cars.
The
body has to come off the frame anyway, and it's going to be a while before
have the room and the time.  This now makes 4 DeLoreans that I own.  I
feel
kind of guilty owning this many when other people would be glad to own
just
one; but on the other hand, none of these are drivable!  Well my so-called
daily driver should be up & running soon when I figure out the glowing cat
problem.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3793308.5048975.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?pa