RE: [DMCForum] Decadent pleasures denied Martin G

RE: [DMCForum] Decadent pleasures denied Martin G

>>Louie Golden wrote:
>>I guess that's the difference between the opposite sides of the pond.
Over
here it seems most prize simplicity in
>>engineering. We see things like turbos, variable valve timing, complex
computer controls, and other trickery as last ditch >>efforts to make a
lackluster engine into something worthy.

>I think that's an opinion that's waaay out of date :-)

Not really, at least from everything I have heard.  When you say you don't
like the sound of a rumbling American V-8, we would say that the little
whining cars sound like they haven't yet reached puberty ;)  While the
recent fad with little four-cylinder cars becoming ever more pronounced,
there really is no substitute for cubic inches.  Personally, I just think
they are very, very annoying.  Diesel powered cars are not really
considered
performance vehicles, and they tend to be much more expensive.  I imagine
they would be more reasonably priced where you are since they are more
common.  I am looking at buying a new truck and I want a diesel, but that
alone is a $7,000.00 (4,430.37 GBP?) option.

>If you ever drive a really, and I mean really powerful turbo'd
>car, you'd get as hooked on the accelleration curve that I did. My
>friend's skyline is an extreme example, with the performance of a tiny
>engine up to 5500rpm, when it suddenly surges to 8000rpm in a matter of
>a couple of seconds.

I have never driven a Skyline, but I have driven a few powerful turbo'd
vehicles.  I have never liked the spooling and sudden  surge in power,
though I imagine one could get used to it and learn to drive it.  Why not
just use a super charger and get smooth power all across the power band?
One turbo vehicle comes to mind that surprised me, the GMC Typhoon.  I
nailed the pedal on one thinking it wasn't that big of a deal.  My hand
came
off the steering wheel and I hit myself in the chest.  I could not pull my
hand away until I lifted my foot from the go pedal.  That truck just stuck
and went.

>Have a look on Google for "opel lotus omega swedish police"
>and track down a video taken from a Saab 9000 turbo cop car chasing a
>Lotus Omega (LHD version of Lotus Carlton). It's really funny.

I searched and was unable to find it.  Do you have a link?

Greg

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3793308.5048975.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?pa
ge=1374-105951838331032> click here