Re: [DMCForum] Questions for Martin/Darren (and anyone else?)

content22207 wrote:

>Question #2: Why does engine moan internally as soon as breather tube
>from air filter housing plugged? If passive shouldn't care.

That's what the engine draws its air through at idle....

>Question #3: My idle still wanders slightly as if sucking air. As soon
>as I spray crank shaft behind pully (where it passes through timing
>case cover) smooths out 100%. If passive, again shouldn't affect.

Changed the seal lately? Could simply be a lube issue.

>Question #4: When I pinpoint sprayed junction of passenger head,
>timing chain cover, and valve cover, would kill engine. Replaced valve
>cover gasket, DID NOT TOUCH MANIFOLD ONE SINGLE BIT (already sitting
>in a bed of silicone as well as O rings), and now that junction has no
>effect on idle. Explain that one.

No idea, but it ain't a vacuum leak you're "curing". It could be that
you were spraying solvent strait onto your rocker arms.

>Question #5: Didn't Rich A find page in Tech Manual where DMC itself
>claims engine breathes internally and will suffer calamity if outside
>air supply blocked? (Imfamous "Brother Maynard" post).

If you block the breather pipe for example, the exhaust gases blowing
into the crank case will have nowhere to go and you'll start blowing
seals all over the place. It's not a vacuum/pressure seal, it's an oil
seal!

>Question #6: Are there cam access plates on passenger side equivalent
>to driver's? Am at work, but don't remember any.

It's at the other end, at the front of the engine.

>You'd think they'd be
>mirror copies. And Rich A *DID* have vacuum problem with one of them.

Not convinced.

>Question #7: Distinctly remember somewhere in Tech Manual warning
>against vacuum leaks around dip stick. John Hervey has also stated
>such. *THAT* is wierd. (And is this one a question or a statement?)

Here's a guess. The dipstick tube goes quite far down, as already
stated, the crank case will be under a slight pressure at all times, if
you leave the dipstick out, you might find you get oil and not fumes
pushed out the top. THAT's a guess.

>Question #8: Has anyone ever run their PRV with valve covers off?

No, but you can create a 2" hole in the lH cover by pulling the breather
cap off. Doe that plenty of times when adjusting the dizzy

Martin

>Food enough for thought now that time has come to go home and work on
>a REAL engine (Ford 460. That's 7.5 litres for our metric friends).

Wouldn't hold a candle to my friend's 2.0litre turbo'd Nissan engine.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3793308.5048975.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?pa
ge=1374-105951838331032> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3793308.5048975.1261774/D=egroupm