RE: [DMCForum] Re: Electrical gremlin... no power at coil

RE: [DMCForum] Re: Electrical gremlin... no power at coil

> Don't have car or tech manual at office, so don't quote me on wire
colors:

HOW DARE YOU! Always keep the manual by your side. I plan to make a small
version like to contact Gideons International and have them create a
pocket
sized version of the manual like they did with the Bible.

> Line into coil (+) should be 8-10 volts. Full 12 volts would
> eventually barbeque ignition module, but is OK to jump temporarily to
> start car. That's whole purpose of resistor network and start relay.

That's about right. I did jump the transistor just to see what might
happen
and I got the same result.

> Can't remember exactly how much lower, but coil ground (-) is less
> than input. Remember that it's still hot at this point (actual ground
> inside ignition module).

It should be around 6-8V. I read 7V on it when I ran a wire from the left
side of the coil to the engine block. Does this indicate possible ground
fault?

> Use Ohm setting on meter to test coil itself. Bosch is some fantastic
> number in the thousands (9,000?). My Pertronix is 1.5 I think.

I actually replaced the coil outright with a brand new one. Same result.

> Test for HT with timing light on coil output, or old fashioned gound
> to block test (that one still scares me. Shocked ever living mess out
> of myself once. Have no desire to do twice).

I did this as well. Tried it with the coil wire and got nothing. Then I
ran
a jumper wire to the block and looked for spark. Nothing. Not even a burp.

> If your voltages are correct, coil is good, but no HT, ignition module
> may be bad OR MAY HAVE LOST GROUND. Before declaring module hopeless,
> run temporary known good ground. All 5 of my Lincolns have new ground
> wires due to design flaw. DeLo may be comparable. Remember: it IS a
> plastic car...

Where is the ground for the ECU?

> Oh, you could have distributor problem. Make sure sensor wire to
> ignition module plugged in. Don't know how many volts it carries, but
> should see some sort of reading if you pierce insulation. Didn't
> forget to put rotor button back in?

Yep, she's plugged in. According to John H's site, the pulse coil
connection
should have 600 ohms on it. I need to check this as well.

> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin@xxxx> wrote:
> > No spark = no start.
> >
> > I traced it back to the coil. I tried a new one just to be sure but
> it was
> > fruitless. Then I checked all the fuses. Everything's ok.
> >
> > When I go to start the car I am assuming I should have 12V across
> the coil,
> > which I do not at the moment. I checked voltage on the right side. The
> > voltage from the resistor is ok and I have continuity and ground to
the
> > capacitor. The trouble seems to be on the left side. I've got
> nothing coming
> > from the White/Slate wire that leads to the ignition control behind
the
> > driver's seat.
> >
> > What are the conditions required to get power to that side of the
coil?
> > Maybe I'm misunderstanding something altogether. Can anyone shed
> some light
> > on this puzzler?

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3656312.4921743.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1457554/R=0/SIG=11c6fnta2/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyui