[DMCForum] Re: Electrical gremlin... no power at coil

[DMCForum] Re: Electrical gremlin... no power at coil

Brother Maynard,

Consult the Book of DeLorean, Chapter M, verse 18:04:

And the lord spake, saying thou ignition ECU shalt thou have power to
provide voltage on wire white/slate, provided thy most holy fuse #1.

In other words, the module must have power to power the coil. You said
fuse #1 is not blown. Ensure the module is plugged in and seated well.
I've heard a story about a guy who wiggled his plug a mm and things
started working.

Also, ensure you're checking the voltage correctly (key in "run", one
probe on + and one on - on the coil.

Mike will attest that if it's electrical, I can fix it but it's hard
for me to put it in my brain correctly through email. I do better with
it in front of me.

Oh..wait. Epiphany:  #1 fuse isnt' blown. Fine. measure voltage at the
fuse, and then trace the GREEN wire from that fuse to the ECU and
measure 12 volts at that end of the green wire. Verify that the ECU is
getting 12 volts.

The ECU is simple. It gets 12 vdc on the green wire, it has a black
ground to chassis-ish somewhere, a shielded black wire to the dizzy to
control dwell and such and then white/slate to provide coil power.

Dig man?

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin@xxxx> wrote:
> No spark = no start.
>
> I traced it back to the coil. I tried a new one just to be sure but
it was
> fruitless. Then I checked all the fuses. Everything's ok.
>
> When I go to start the car I am assuming I should have 12V across
the coil,
> which I do not at the moment. I checked voltage on the right side. The
> voltage from the resistor is ok and I have continuity and ground to the
> capacitor. The trouble seems to be on the left side. I've got
nothing coming
> from the White/Slate wire that leads to the ignition control behind the
> driver's seat.
>
> What are the conditions required to get power to that side of the coil?
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding something altogether. Can anyone shed
some light
> on this puzzler?

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=314136457>