From: cruznmd [mailto:racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 6:08 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] tone L.O.C.

Some bright soul out there asked if I'd put a compression gauge on
the car instead of just my thumb.

So today, I purchased a gauge from Advance Auto and measured 3
cylinders before the rain drove me inside.

The manual states that this engine runs at an 8.8:1 comression ratio
but I don't know how many PSI or kPa that is.

I measured cylinder 3 at 100 psi, cylinder 6 at 120 psi and cylinder
2 at 90 psi.

Now I -already- know that that is insufficient to support self-
sustaining combustion.

So now I know why the car won't start. Now I need to know:

a) What is compression -supposed- to be (in psi or kPa)?
b) What are the possible causes of loss of compression?
c) What could I do to get it back?

I know some of b) but I want to hear as many answers as I can in case
I'm skipping something.

As usual, thanks.

Rich

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705