[DMCForum] Re: I need a favor

Good story. I'm absolutely certain that it's not inhaling through the
exhaust.

Dave Stragand's story tells of how he inflated a trash bag on a car
that had problems like mine. There's -no- way my car would do that
right now.

The thing is, how did this happen??? Before I blew the head gaskets,
the car was running. Just a few months ago. I haven't backed into a
ditch or anything....

Can the guts of the cat "melt"? My fuel system was so hosed up that I
got it glowing cherry twice, by accident from raw fuel being dumped in
there.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> >Someone quite a while back mentioned a plugged cat convertor or some
> >such. Then today, my non-mechanically inclined wife asked me the same
> >thing. A sign from God?
>
> Wow, you just sparked a memory from so long ago it could have been a
past
> life.  Someone I knew was going through what you are, and while
someone else
> tried to start the engine, he held a dollar bill next to the exhaust
pipe.
> Imagine holding it like you are about to put it in a change machine
at the
> car wash.  Holding one end so the other end is at the opening of the
tail
> pipe.
>
> While the other person tried to start the engine he watched the
dollar bill,
> counting the puffs from the pipe.  When the pipe would puff, that of
course
> meant the exhaust was flowing in the correct direction.  If at any
time it
> seemed like the dollar bill was trying to be sucked into the pipe he
knew
> there was a problem.  I would think a one dollar bill would perform
as well
> as a one hundred dollar bill ;)
>
> I have no idea what type of car this was and it amazes me that I
recalled
> this.  As the other person tried to start the car you could count
the number
> of puffs and knew when all cylinders had exhausted.  Since the De
Lorean has
> two tips, I would think you could temporarily block one of them for this
> test.
>
> To supplement my college/university costs, I would buy late model
wrecked
> cars and rebuild them, drive them for a bit, and sell them for a profit.
> Well, usually.  Anyway, one car I bought would not start no matter
what we
> did.  I finally checked the tail pipe and, due to the accident, the car
> slide backwards into a ditch and the tail pipe was full of dirt,
completely
> sealing it off.  I uncorked it with a screw driver, not the liquid
kind, and
> it hit on the first turn of the key.  So yes, your catalytic
converter could
> be stopped up, or your muffler, or anywhere in between. I thought
you went
> through your exhaust system though.
>
> >The question is, even if I have no combustion, will I still have a
> >strong puff of air/gases coming out of the exhaust, or do you have to
> >have combustion to have any appreciable flow?
>
> Based on every other car that I have worked on, you should feel an
> appreciable flow as the engine is still moving, or should be moving, the
> same amount of air it sucked it.  It has to go somewhere.
>
> >Could someone -please- disable your ignition, and fuel pump and give a
> >few cranks and let me know? Or, if you already know the answer, give
> >me a shout.
>

> I would if I could.  You are several steps ahead of me right now.  I
have
> never even had power to mine since I have owned it.  When I get that
far I
> may be hitting you up for ideas.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Greg