Re: [DMCForum] Walt's lovely new hand-built engine

Walter Coe wrote:

>As I said before, Jim Strickland's 300hp 3 rotor turbo was impressive.
The
>seat bottom could have fallen out and it wouldn't have mattered because
the
>acceleration was holding me to the seat back like an amusement ride!  I
>would love to have that kind of power in my DeLorean IF it would
otherwise
>still have good economy for normal city driving.

I doubt this will be a problem considering the price of fuel in the US....

>>An A610 engine will use a race-mappable ECU which are available in
>>France. The Emerald ECU would be for the 24v normally aspirated lump.
>>

>I have been reading the Emerald web site and like everything I see so far
>about them.  For those of you who are interested, the link is:
>http://members.aol.com/emeraldm3d/

It will cost considerably more to use an emerald ECU than an
off-the-shelf one for the job...

>Well then if we use this block (and I think we should), how much horse
power
>should we try to get?  We need to weigh cost vs reliability vs fuel
economy,
>etc.  As you already know, my primary concern is reliability.  If I can't
>keep it running then it doesn't do me any good.  My next concern is to
get
>good fuel economy.  There is no sense upgrading the engine in my daily
>driver if it isn't economical with fuel.

Well, at the end of the day whatever Darren builds you will be a brand
new engine. He will see to it that it's reliable if that's what you want
(as opposed to a race engine designed to last one season for example).
If you want 300+ horsepower, the energy has to come from somewhere, so
fuel economy will fall, but not massively. That engine was still in use
in production cars up to 5 or so years ago at a time when it was one of
the most "thirsty" engines on our roads, and what we'd class as a
thirsty engine, you class as a small one.

>Well anyway, we have already discussed this stuff, so I'm just blurting
them
>out here because other people are interested.  It was a long time ago
that I
>talked with Darren.  It wasn't an easy conversation because I had to
listen
>so carefully to get past his accent.

You great nancy! He's only from Manchester.

>I'm sure I wasn't too easy for him to
>understand either.  At the time it sounded like once I spent the money
for a
>custom built 3 litre 24 valve PRV that it wouldn't cost a whole lot more
>do the Alpine A610 option, but now it sounds like the smaller engine is a
>better choice for a daily driver DeLorean.

It's also possible to mate to a stock 3-speed auto box. The biggie as
far as I can see with the A610 turbo monster is getting the exhaust and
intake pipework working and effective in the intercoolers without
modifying the engine bay. This would be expensive.

>In other news, I saw Kayo Ong's DeLorean with the SS exhaust from Don at
the
>Mid-Atlantic Spring Social.  This system was just too loud for me.  I
don't
>know if Don built it to be loud & free flowing or quiet but a little
>restrictive.  If you can, find out what Don built for Kayo and tell him I
>want it a lot quieter than that.  I would ask him myself, but getting an
>e-mail out of him is as difficult as extracting broken exhaust manifold
>studs.  You can tell him that too :-)

I'm not sure what set he got - the "medium" or "loud". I've heard both
and the Medium would be my choice. The Loud hurt my ears.

>Should we get Chris Nicholson to do the exhaust brackets?  Or is that a
Don
>job?

Makes most sense for Don to do them.

Martin

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3512844?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=501830541>