RE: [DMCForum] Re: A/C lamp illumination AGAIn

RE: [DMCForum] Re: A/C lamp illumination AGAIn

Erik, It's a good question and most people don't care or know if the relay
is 4 contact or five contact. In manufacturing, it's easier to build one
relay with a little over kill than carrying two inventory items. One 4
contact ( SPST, Single pole single throw ) and one 5 contact. ( SPDT,
Single
pole Double throw ). The 5th contact is there if you need it and most
likely
cost 1/5th of a cent to install and if you don't want it to do anything
when
the relay is turned off, then don't use it. The 5th contact is the rest
position in this case. What Elvis is saying, if you can read the diagram
you
will see many relay's that don't power anything in the rest position.( 5th
)
contact. In this case of the power of the AC panel Illumination is done
from
a resistor to drop the voltage and have some back ground lighting which we
really don't need.
By breaking off the 5th pin or contact disables the light. If you want it
back on then plug in another 5 contact relay.
John