Re: [DMCForum] Re: turn signals/hazard lights

Re: [DMCForum] Re: turn signals/hazard lights

   It sounds exactly like the problem we had with the thermostat failing
- here's a test which is a bit scary - take the lid off the expansion
bottle and run the engine up to roughly the point where the fans should
come on. Then turn the engine off. You may well see the coolant bubble
up and splurge out the bottle as the bubble you've created escapes. If a
bubble forms over the otterstat, the fans may well not kick in. The
solution is to install a self-bleed kit (Chris Parnham has a load for
£20 each) and a new water pump thermostat (£13)

The hissing from your mode switch is a vaccum leak and will cause the
engine to run lean. Plug up the hose that hisses and you will be fine.

BTW we have a show on 1st June if you want to take the car on a trip!

Martin

John Dore wrote:

>Hey Martin,
>
>Thanks for that, having just got my ac mode switch out I could have
>easily knocked the wires at the back of the hazard switch off and
>caused this problem.
>
>After I shut down my engine because of the fans not coming on, I
>could hear the coolant bubbling for a few seconds in the engine
>compartment. Will check the fans tonight.
>When I had the car in boston, once or twice, the temp gauge would
>rapidly rise towards the redline, gave me an awful fright sometimes!
>I would shut the car down, check the engine temp on the coolant hoses
>(it would be fine), and restart the car. The gauge would immediately
>be back down at normal, so I guess my temperature sending switch
>could be bad. Anyone else seen this?
>
>One other thing, I'm waiting on a new diaphragm for the mode switch
>from Rob Grady, until then the switch is out and obviously the
>hissing is very loud, big vacumm leak. Does it matter if I drive the
>car like this? I was planning on putting around 70 miles on her on
>Sunday...
>
>Thanks,
>John
>
>PS That gullwing Jetta has left me speechless. Can't seem to find the
>words to describe how stupid it looks.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595053/R=0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=33130
99&yhad=1595053> Click Here!