[DMCForum] Dealing with V.D.

Claudius the Cruel eliminated marriages and engagements in the Roman
empire to swell his army. A man who campaigned against it was locked up
until his death on the 14th of February, 270. When Christianity took
over Europe several hundred years later, they decided to take the legend
and make him a Saint, and rename the fertility festival of Lupercalia in
honor of him, thereby achieving two goals: getting rid of the pagans and
making sure there were more little Christians walking around
(approximately nine months later, that is).

In these modern times, death of a guy who fought the Romans is pretty
much ignored, and the focus is to get a small portion of the population
to spend a lot of money for a week or so. No, no, I'm not talking about
Christmas. I'm talking about Valentine's Day.

We all know that Valentine's Day sucks, and that the only people who
celebrate it are people who think that a hormonal imbalance influenced
by someone in close proximity to their living quarters is love. We know
that the greetings card industry are the only people who profit from
this. Today let's take the time to laugh at everyone carrying flowers,
balloons, candy, or whatever, spending a romantic afternoon in public
with the current object of their affection, or other similarly useless
activities. Tell them that there's a white ooze coming out of their
shoes, pretend to be their ex-gay-lover, tell them North Korea dropped
the bomb on Sacramento -- do SOMEthing to get that smile off of their
syrup faces and back on yours. Hallmark capitalizes on this holiday, and
we can too. They steal money today, so let's steal someone's happiness!

It's not Valentine's Day; it's Singles Awareness Day. He's dead; we're
alive. Now go out and get drunk. America is counting on you.

Send complaints to:
Farrar Hudkins