[DMCForum] Re: Horn on center pad: WIRING

On 08-10-2002 18:23, Walter Coe wrote:

> Recently I was inspired by a non-street legal race car that
> had some telephone-looking cords hanging from the steering
> wheel.  As at least a temporary effort, I was going to try
> something like this on my DeLorean.

As our cars only need 2.4 turns of the steering wheel "lock-to-lock"
why not take a piece of wire that goes around the steering column
behind the wheel loosly? Say 3 or 4 turns...

When you turn the wheel one way you tighten the "spool" by 1.2
turns, turn it the other way and you loosen it for 1.2 turns...

Or use a relay to switch the horns and switch the relay on the
GROUND-side of the coil. That way you only need one separate
wire round/through/over the column to the wheel; you can get
a proper ground from the column itself.
I know this is the way it's done on lots of cars,
this way you only have to use ONE brush-contact...

Only doubt I have is whether you can even get this ONE wire into
the steering wheel properly. Looking at the second picture on
<http://www.dmc12.co.uk/wheel_removal.htm> makes me think this
wouldn't be easy. Haven't looked at my own car yet;
"If it ain't broken, don'y fix it"

Cheers,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...