Re: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts - was - Moderators

Re: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts - was - Moderators

> please keep me informed on this. I am trying to make
> abs plastic fenders for my D that was rolled.

Ulysses,

I was at a cruise-in car show last night and saw a custom car hood made of
clear-coated carbon fiber.  It was a real nice job but perhaps the clear
finish was a little wavy in places.  I think a similar process could be
used
to make reproduction body panels for the D.  Like Andrei said, we use a
good
panel and vac-form some plastic over that.  Now my idea in addition is to
cover that with a layer of carbon fiber or fiberglass to make it stronger
and more stable.  I think that some of the panels would copy better if
they
were shrunk to the inside of the panel.  Then a layer of graphite or
whatever could be added to the outside to make the proper thickness & fit.
This would probably be the case with the hood.   I know a local guy with a
damaged hood that maybe we could use for a mold.  It would be interesting
finding a way to remove the fiberglass liner.  Maybe dissolve the bond
with
solvents?  I have a pair of NOS fenders that have never been mounted on a
car before.  This would be a good start.  Imagine a graphite carbon fiber
DeLorean!

Walt