Re: [DMCForum] Walt: how're your DMCs doing?

Re: [DMCForum] Walt: how're your DMCs doing?

> By the way, (and this will be moderately on-topic), what's the status of
> your various vehicles? I'm curious.

I always find time to play on the computer but rarely find time to work on
the cars.

My "daily driver" (WATSDAT) VIN 03633 has not been driven for several
months
now.  Funny you should ask because just today I picked the car up and spun
the wheels to avoid flat spots.  I did everything I needed to fix the a/c
and then the evaporator started leaking.  While it's been apart I decided
start some tangent projects such as reengineer the defrost vent to have a
flapper door so that the windshield doesn't fog on humid days.  Another
tangent project is that I thought that while the a/c is out of the dash
that
it would be a good time to add sound-proofing materials.  It's funny how
such a simple a/c job can snowball.

Family member #2 is a basket-case restoration project, VIN 17086.  I
haven't
wanted to mention to anyone before that I even own this car.  A previous
owner left it to sit out in the weather for about 10 years, so it has
about
everything wrong with it that a DeLorean can have wrong with it.  The only
thing that makes it worth saving (if it even is worth saving) is that it
is
a Canadian spec car with metric gauges.  I intend put off restoring it
until
I can have time to do it as a full-time job.  If that happens it will be
like Dave Stragand's Project Vixen.

Family member #3 is a testament to my stupidity, VIN 02418.  You can still
see it at the following link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31830&it
em
=1875368605&rd=1
It looked like a great deal.  DeLoreans rarely bring their full value on
eBay.  I get my cheap thrills bidding on things knowing that the reserve
isn't met or someone will surely outbid me.  This time I got caught, but
the
seller says I should be pleasantly surprised. :-)  The car hasn't been
shipped yet, so I'm really excited to see what I got.  I intend to bring
it
up to daily driver conditions (repaint fascias, fix upholstery, repair
a/c,
window motors, etc.) and then turn it for a quick buck -- IF that is
possible.  If it isn't then I will have something to drive while the other
two are down.

The fractional car is what you would have if you put all my spare parts
together.  That consists mostly of two frames (one is new SS), an engine,
2
trannys and various body panels.

I am turning into my father!  This is disgusting.  I grew up trying to mow
around old Model A Ford frames strewn about the yard.  The family cars sat
out in the weather while never-ending restoration projects clogged the
garage.  My dad called them A's -- short for Model A's.  I call mine D's
--
short for DeLoreans.  This is too coincidental.  Somehow I don't think my
father would be proud.  But if he pointed a finger at me, he would have

Walt