Re: [DMCForum] Installation of ball joints

Re: [DMCForum] Installation of ball joints

Mark said it all, but I'll expand a little.  Usually it is just the
tie-rod
end boots that get brittle with age and crack apart.  These boots can be
replaced a lot cheaper than the whole tie-rod end.  If the joint is
sloppy,
then it needs replacing.  Otherwise just goop it up with wheel bearing
grease before you put the new boot on.  If replacing, my choice (if you
could find them) would be to find tie rod ends that have grease zerks.
The
OEMs and the ones in the photo from DeLorean Motor Center don't have
grease
zerks.

I've done tie-rod end boots on several cars.  None needed new tie-rod
ends.
And none needed new ball joints.  Since I've never done a ball joint
(yet)... I know when to shut up. :-)

Walt