Re: [DMCForum] No power at 4000 RPM

Scott,

You say that you get a loss of power at 4000 RPM and above.  You did not
mention any loss of power on acceleration (while still below 4000 RPM).
If
this were a fuel related problem then you would experience symptoms during
peak fuel usage which naturally would happen during rapid acceleration
especially while still well under 4000 RPM).

Since your problem is related to RPM instead of fuel demands, I say it is
an
ignition problem.  I would suggest trying a new ignition coil, but you did
that already.  My next suggestion is to try a different ignition ECU
(located in the compartment behind the driver's seat).  These modules are
bit expensive to buy as a diagnostic tool, but maybe you could swap one
out
with a local owner to see if the symptoms move to the other car.  If that
doesn't fix it then as a last resort start swapping parts with a known
good
car until the problem moves to the other car.

As for what you have measured with your new fuel pressure gauge:

DO NOT TRUST IT UNTIL YOU HAVE CALIBRATED IT AGAINST AN ACCURATE
REFERENCE.

I calibrated mine (and it needed it) using compressed air and compared to
known accurate digital tire pressure gauge.  Sounds cheap, but is accurate
to within 0.5 PSI.

The primary pressure is the pressure produced from the output of the fuel
pump.  Your measurement of 4.9 is low.  But in comparison your rest
pressure
of 2.9 bar is also low.  Both these measurements are within allowable
limits; however, your chances are good that your fuel pressure gauge is
inaccurate.  Here's why:  A truly low Primary pressure (if not too low)
will
not cause a low Control pressure or a low rest pressure.  Assuming that
your
gauge is reading 0.2 bar too low & add this to all of your measurements
and
it puts them all within normal tolerances.

Another thing to consider is that your rest pressure only dropped by 0.4
bar
in 10 minutes (2.9 bar - 2.5 bar = 0.4 bar)  The manual allows a drop of
1.6
bar.  (3.3 bar - 1.7 bar = 1.6 bar)  Your system is holding pressure well.

> I can set the primary pressure to the setting range of 5.1 to 5.3 bar.

How?  I have never seen this in any of the manuals.

> Will raising the primary pressure affect the Control Pressure?

As long as the Primary pressure is within normal limits, it should not.

> Is there a way to adjust the Control Pressure?

Not that I am aware of.  The Control pressure regulator can be rebuilt,
but
it is not meant to be reassembled without replacing the seals; although,
some people have been able to clean them & put them back together without
leaks.  I have never heard of rebuild kits being made available to the
general public.  Old cores are exchanged for rebuild.

I understand that there is a pressure adjustment on the fuel distributors,
but I think this is done by adding/removing shims and it is something that
is only to be adjusted during a rebuild.  Once set, it shouldn't change.
And if it does, that's because it has other problems that tweaking won't
fix.

Let us know how you progress with this problem.  I'm really curious.

Walt