Re: [DMCForum] Drum roll please!

Travis,

I have some thoughts on improving the efficiency of your smoke system.

First some background:
Squirrel cage fans are used to blow air; propeller fans are used to suck
air.  Consider applications you've seen before, and they usually choose
the
right kind of fan for the job.

So if you are looking for an increase in efficiency over what you have so
far, try moving the fans to the other ends of the ducts.  Or try using an
auto a/c squirrel cage blower in the distribution box instead.  That would
make a substantial difference at accelerating the smoke -- especially if
you
had it turn on a few seconds after the smoke generator started up.  The
presence of a blower motor will add to the time machine clutter AND it
will
actually be functional too.

It looks like you used flexible clothes dryer duct.  That gives even more
resistance to the fans.  And it may not hold up well driving at moderate
speeds.  You might consider pre-formed rigid sheet metal duct (ala Home
Depot) or PVC pipe with large radius elbows meant for drain waste disposal
(DWD spec).

I'm considering some kind of modification to the a/c ducts in my car for
two
reasons.  First, the accordion-pleated ducts create a lot of turbulence,
and
turbulence = noise which my car has plenty of since I normally use the
blower on high speed.  Second, if I don't use my car for a week, then the
a/c smells moldy & stinks my car up until I clear it out.  I thought I had
lot of leaves composting in it, but when I took the unit out of the dash,
there were only a couple of leaves.  Or does stuff just grow on the
evaporator?  It looked clean.  I'm thinking about substituting a light
gauge
PVC pipe, say a Schedule-20, and shaping it with a heat gun.  It couldn't
hurt to try, and the modification would be completely reversible.

That moderated digest version is going to be really hairy to get set up
(and
caught up).  Starting with this paragraph there are 3 interrelated
threads:
time machine, a/c system & administrative.  It's going to take a little
more
programming to be able to have an "editor" insert hyperlinks.  Once
debugged, it should all be a point & click issue.  If someone were
following
the thread on in-dash a/c ducts, for example, the links would skip to the
middle of this post and then to the beginning of the next digest which
would
then link to any related post in it and then to the next digest.  I'm glad
I'm not the programmer.  :-)

Walt

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/HliolB/TM