[DMCForum] Re: VU meters [was: In-dash a/c issues]

[DMCForum] Re: VU meters [was: In-dash a/c issues]

Walt,

You'd need a good VU meter with a "peak hold" function to take an
objective
measurement. The old ones with a black scale with red bits on the end are
not
too common these days, but those wouldn't serve well anyway. Most VU
meters are
digital now and they'll either store the top level or hold it for a few
seconds
so you can write it down or commit it to memory. The trick is digital
scale
versus analogue. Be sure you get one that is analog scale, which has
headroom
above zero (red on the analogue meter). You'll also need something with a
large
range and very sensitive, preferably down to -74 to -80dB. I know how
these work
but I don't know where to get them. :\

Regards,
Farrar in New Orleans