[DMCForum] How to cook PVC pipe

Went to Home Depot last night and bought a 9 foot section of PVC pipe, 4
inches in diameter and 1/4 inch in thickness. Here's a step by step of
what
I did (pictures coming soon).

1. I cut off a piece 20 inches long. I felt it was best to make it as big
as
possible so I could cut it in the middle to get the best piece. This was
also a good size to fit into my oven.

2. I preheated the oven to 275 degrees and placed the PVC on a piece of
aluminum foil (all that discussion yesterday and I chose not to wrap it!).
After about 10 minutes I checked on it and found it very soft, but still
holding its shape.

3. I pulled it out and placed it between two boards (also wrapped in foil
protect the pipe) and pressed evenly. I flipped it over and pressed a
little
more, checking the ends periodically to make sure I was getting the shape
wanted.

4. Once I got the oval shape I needed, I put some weight on it to make it
hold the shape until it cooled off. I found that a 12 pack of Pepsi worked
great. I think Coke might work but I can't verify it. :)

5. After 10 minutes of cooling, I pulled the boards off and I had a
perfect
shape. I jumped for joy!

6. Next, I heated a small sheet of plexiglass (about 3x8 inches) in the
oven
on the sheet of aluminum foil. You could put the PVC on a cookie sheet but
don't put the plexiglass on it. You'll never be able to grab it with your
mitts on!

7. After about 5-10 minutes the plexiglass became very pliable. Using 2
oven
mitts, I pulled out the plexiglass and made a quick bend in the middle of
it
and shoved it into the PVC pipe I just created.

8. I shoved my oven-mitted hand into the PVC pipe as well and pushed the
plexiglass against the inside. I held it there until it cooled.

9. After about 5 minutes, the plexiglass cooled and it had taken the shape
of the pipe! It's the perfect window.

10. The next step (which I didn't get to last night) is to clean and paint
the pipe, cut out the opening and glue the glass to the inside.

This whole project is about $15 and I was surprised that it turned out as
well as it did. Don't worry if you mess up in the bending process. If the
shapes don't turn out like you want, put it back in the oven. I messed up
my
pipe the first time, reheated it, and it went back to its original shape!

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/mG3HAA/HliolB/TM