Re: [doc] Front Springs... Worth Keeping?

Re: [doc] Front Springs... Worth Keeping?

I still wouldn't do it.

A friend of mine years ago tried this "short cut" of spring removal and broke his fingers. I like my fingers !

Yes, I have previously compressed original spec front springs on other Delorean cars, not just my own chopped lowered ones.

Fortunately I have never had a flying spring compressor across the face, I tend to swing on the side of caution and safety. Bet that hurt !

NickT

Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ooh, rather you than me Martin.

I said that at first... but watched Dan do his car that way and was
converted. Attack with angle grinder whilst shock is still in place so
bits -can't- go boing off anywhere. It goes bang onece or twice but you
do end up with a nice pair of earrings...

> I wouldn't risk cutting a compressed spring as it still has stored
> energy, that and the flying pieces of cutting disc that could embed
> itself in the cars fibreglass.

?? the practicality of this manoever means everything is thrown downward
on the floor and the only thing I've ever set on fire with an angle
grinder was my own trousers.... fibreglass takes a bit more work. Now
Carbon fibre on the other hand - that goes up quite nicely with a couple
of hundred amps going hrough it (done THAT!). Did you know the McLaren
Merc does not have a negative earth chassis for precisely this reason!

> I'd use spring compressors anytime. Funnily enough, I have just
> changed all the springs on my car today with higher ones because mine
> were too low. (Is this a first?)

Ah. So you haven't had to compress an original spec front spring to get
it out? It's not a fun task, and I'm speaking as someone who has taken a
flying spring compressor across the face...

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk