Re: [doc]- Southern meet up?

Hi Claire

The ANPR, Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras have been out for quite
a few years. They are the big blue ones that you see on most major roads and
were introduced for terrorism, to check the whereabouts of known vehicles.
Now they can check all vehicles that pass. Each vehicle once seen by the
camera will do a PNC check (Police National Computer) automatically and
check for valid, MOT, insurance, excise license and any police markers.

Any of the above out of date, will be reported for prosecution. The MET did
a pilot run using these blue street cameras for speed as well a couple of
months ago. The cameras cant detect speed but it logs a accurate time when
vehicle passes. If the same vehicle passes another camera, the computer
knows the exact distance between cameras and  calculate you average speed.
During a 6 hour test on a Sunday afternoon, they had recorded 45,000
speeding offences in London alone!!.

For the past 2 years they have been fitted to Police vehicles, and they can
be a pain because you are always stopping vehicles and reporting for
offences rather than patrolling problem areas.

I 've just received the latest training in using the hand held ANPR cameras,
which can check index numbers & do the PNC check for you in less than few
seconds. It also has a hard drive memory that holds up to 3 million recorded
checks and has GPRS again it knows exactly date, time and place of every
vehicle it sees.

So be good

Mark