[doc] Re: Broken bolt and spinning bolt on the big internal waterpipe!

[doc] Re: Broken bolt and spinning bolt on the big internal waterpipe!

Hi

Yes and like my broken bolts , they are probably the two long bolts,
one in each end of the water pipe, however not to panic:)

Treating each one individually, the one thats spinning , with that
bolt i would try and use mole grips and pull up whilst turning maybe
even a table knife on the underside of the head to pull it up, if
that doesnt help then it will need to be drilled out. You will
probably find it is actually broken off but with rust etc it is stuck
in the top of the y pipe, give it a little tug :).  To drill out I
marked the dead centre of the each of my broken bolts with a sharp
hole punch and then drilled down with a small drill bit (3mm) mark
the drill depth with a bit of tape so that you dont drill down too
far into the water jacket! , from memory the bolts go in 20mm . Then
by increasing the size of drill you will get to the 7mm size bolt but
drill no bigger at this stage, you may find that the remains of the
bolt may spin out on the reverse function of the drill.

Take your time and it can be done just keep dead centre and vertical
to the bolt.

Then, this is the place i got my thread repair kit from it comes with
an oversize drill and thread inserts to get back to 7mm thread, it
comes with instructions  , you may find a supplier in your country
but hey these are worth a shot:-

http://www.uni-thread.com/

You need the 7mm x 1 pitch kit £19.50

All of the above was carried out with help from fellow DOCers ,
cheers again all :)

Kind Regards

Mike
#2001/403
VRH 732W With new brass radiator, undated fans, blower motor and
starter motor wiring mod carried out in 6 hours on Sunday by myself
and Mr Mystery X :)

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk