Re: [doc] Overheating - What to do?

John

Keep an eye on coolant level and make sure it doesn't drop below the
level of the pump. I've seen it a couple of times where a pump leaks one
da and then is as dry as a bone the next. I've had to strip a manifold
twice in one day thanks to a pump doing that. Little bugger.

The centre of the car is likely to be one of the four main hoses
although I have had a real odd one which sprung a leak from a hole in
the pipe underneath the fuel tank flap.

> A simple question I hope. I didn't make the recent BBQ/event (well done
> Phil!) in my DeLorean due to a leak in my coolant system. On the
> morning of the event two small puddles appeared under both my water
> pump and the very middle of the car. Two weekends and a long drive
> later.... nothing, without any alterations by me!
>
> So my question, in the situation where you are driving a DeLorean, and
> suddenly loose lots of coolant, what is the recommended course of
> action? Since the fans only cool the coolant is it best to stop the
> engine. If water is available should you throw water into the engine
> bay? Could/should you use any type of fire extinguisher to cool the
> system...

No you should never try to cool the engine faster. Thisis why you have a
temperature gauge - don't let it get that high. If it does, let it cool
on its own and pray the head gaskets haven't failed. Throwing something
very cold on the engine may cause the block to crack

Martin

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk