Re: [doc] Re: "new" new cars

Hi Martin

I should explain a bit more about Common-Rail Diesels for things to make
sense.

Firstly, just a quick explaination on Common-Rail for those who don't know.
The basic principle is to pressureise the fuel so that it atomises, thus
improving the power output from the smae amount of fuel used.

The early Common-Rail engines that came out, were made by Renault,
Mercedes-Benz and BMW.  These are known as 1st Generation style engines,
because of the limit to the presure at which the fuel is delievered.

Ford decided instead of wasting time developing a 1st generation engine and
then deoing development on 2nd generation, which has a higher fuel pressure,
to go straight on with work on 2nd generation technology, which has been
used by Ford since 2001.

It was because of this development that PSA have done a deal with Ford for
joint developemnt/building of diesel engines in Europe.

You are correct that the HDi engines are the first common-rail engines
build/used by PSA, in the same way the the TDCi engines are the first from
Ford, but they utilise 2nd generation technology.

What are Ford unimpressed with?

Firstlt, the build quality of engines out of PSA is not as high as Ford
expect from their own factories.  There are currently 2,500 1.4 diesel
engines sitting in Cologne for Fiesta/Fusion that have come from PSA that
are going to be scrapped because of cracks in the blocks.  These cracks were
not picked up by PSA's quilty control checks.

Secondaly, there have also been some problems with the supplier PSA use for
Diesel Particulate Filters.  These are like a Catalytic Converter for diesel
engines and are required to meet the Euro Stage 4 emiisions which will
become law in most EC countries from next year.  The average life of the
DPF's on the engines from PSA is currently not more than about 10,000 miles.
  Ford use a different supplier on the engines they build and by all
accounts there has been no reported problem of any of them going wrong
whilst in retail service.

For these reasons ford has decided to build their own versions of the same
engines in Dagenham from next year.

HDi's never go wrong - interesting question that.  My friend has a Peugeot
407 2.0HDi, was deleivered in December, has had two changes on Diesel
Particulate Filter, a new ECU because the earthing point was correctly
connected and a new turbo because of contimination during production - in
less than 4,000 miles.

Just in case you're wondering which engines are made by who in which
vehicle, here we go:-

PSA make:-

1.4:- all PSA, Ford Fiesta, Fusion
1.6:- all PSA, Ford Fiesta, Fusion, Focus, Focus C-MAX
2.0:- all PSA, Ford Focus, Focus C-Max

Ford make:-

1.8:- Ford Focus, Transit Connect
2.0:- Ford Mondeo, Transit, Jag X-Type
2.2:- Ford Mondeo, all PSA
2.4:- Ford Transit
2.7:- all PSA, Jag S-Tpye, Land Rover, Range Rover

Hope it all helps

Lloyd

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk