RE: [doc] Re: "new" new cars

This topic has posted some interesting discussions.

Certainly agree with Claire about the insurance. I took out GAP insurance on
a Fiesta in 1999, car was written off in 2001 when someone hit me from
behind and cracked the chassis.  The value I got from my normal insurace was
about £1,000 short of what I still owed on the finance - luckily the GAP
insurace made up the differance and gave me some more for the deposit on a
new car.  Cost of the GAP insurace, £150 for 3 years.  Verdict - well worth
it.

Interesting discussion on diesel engines.  Some facts about the current
diesel engines on the market in small cars, espexcially the talk of
German/French diesel engines - and only because I've been heavily invovled
in diesel engine programs within Ford.

French manufactures:-

Renault - build and design their own engines and also place them in sister
company Nissan's cars.

PSA Peugeot-Citroen - in a joint development program with Ford on all diesel
engines.  In fact PSA decided to work with Ford because Ford were further
ahead on developement with 2nd generation Common-Rail technology than anyone
else.  In fact, the diesel engines in PSAcars have more to do with design
work done by Ford in Merkenrich, Germany & Dunton, Essex than anything the
French have done.  To prove the point, Ford are so disspointed by the
engines that PSA are making, they're setting up their own production line
for the same 1.4 & 1.6 diesel engine variant in Dagenham, because the
quality is better.

German Manufactures:-

Volkswagen/Audi - build thier engines to Bosch's Pump Duse technology.  The
verdict is still out over which is best, Pump Duse or Common-Rail - either
way the effect is the same; increase the power without harming the fuel
consumption too much.

BMW/Mini - diesel engines for the Mini actually come from Toyota.  Part of a
long term agreement for BMW and Toyota to work together on a new range of
four-cylinder diesel engines, which will eventually involve BMW's VANOS
technology.  Although under the current agrrement al lthe egines wil lbe
biuld by Toyota in Asia.

GM/Opel/Vauxhall - currently using FIAT JTD engines as part of GM's
ownership of Fiat Auro Group, which was severed at the end of last year, but
the agreement for diesel engines will last for at last another 2 years.

So if your specifically looking foir French or German technology, your best
bet for a good deal would be a Skoda, Seat or a Nissan.

Hope that's some help.

Lloyd

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/HliolB/TM