[doc] This is the way I test Cold Start valves (as according to my Bosch

[doc] This is the way I test Cold Start valves (as according to my Bosch manual).

This is the way I test Cold Start valves (as according to my Bosch manual).

Checking the thermo time switch...

(THERMO-time switch)
The cold start valve shuld only operate when the ENGINE COOLANT temperature
is less than 35c. i.e. an engine that hasn't run for at least 8 hours.

With the engine cold, remove the 15v feed to the low tension side of the coil to disable
the engine running.

Remove the blue plug from the cold start valve.

Use a voltmeter (set to 20v on a non autoranging meter) and put the meters cables
on the blue cold start valve plug connector on the wiring loom.

Get a slave er I mean assistant to crank the engine for no more then 15 seconds.

In a working cold start valve you should get 12v (plus or minus depending which way round you connect the meters leads) for anytime between 4 and 12 seconds. (thermo-TIME switch)
After this time you should get 0v.

In a NON working cold start valve you may get less than 12v (thermo time switch contacts slightly arced) or you will get 12v continuously (shorted switch/ open circuit heater element).
Replacement is the only remedy.

If you get 0v then check the wiring first.
On one of the pins on the cold start (blue) plug you should get 12v only when the engine is
being cranked on the starter. If you don't then correct the wiring.

As a last measure, remove the cold start valve itself but not the fuel line.
Turn the ignition key to position 2 to run the fuel pump relay to set fuel system pressure.
The cold start valve end should not leak any fuel. Leave it in this position for 30 mins and check there is no leakage.
Applying 12v across the pins of the cold start valve will open the valve and spray fuel.

Caution should be applied. Always make sure a working fire extinguisher is available when performing these tests etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NickT

Richard <dickyh11@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Unlikely, the thermo time switch fires your cold start injector to
assist with a cold start....

You're *sure* your pump is running? - you're not mistaking the frequency
valve buzz in the engine bay for your pump?.....When you click the
ignition on you get a dull hum from the boot for about two seconds.

Sounds very electrical to me - have you checked yer fuses yet?

Rich H
DOC 365 VIN 1274

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk