[doc] RE: cleaning

Are we talking Peugeot 205's or DeLorean's here John?

Regarding my everyday cars, I always wash under the wheel arches when I
wash the rest of the car. The first time you do this you will wonder
where all the muck comes from. Next time it's much easier.

  When I got a job as an apprentice garage mechanic, some 40 years ago,
my foreman once said to me "Do you know what the best rust preventative
is?"  No. says I, "Water", says he. Always wash mud away as it holds the
moisture.

If you car is mud free, it its gets wet, then it dries again pretty
quick. If it's got muck and filth around the wheel arches, its remains
damp for days, even weeks, thus ensuring a good attack of rust and rot.
As were working on 25 year old milk floats at the time, that still
looked good, the lesson was well learned.

Now, if we are talking about your pride and Joy DeLorean, then it is NOT
going to rust around the wheel arches!  And the muck does not really get
in any place much underneath.

Personally I don't like pressure washers; I think they put water in
places that water wouldn't normally get. Indeed John, after you
pressured washed Ian's car in N.I., some years ago, it got damp and
mouldy inside later. ( because of lack of use).

For members who have only got one car and that happens to be a DeLorean,
then they have very few problems with rust compared to any other
"Classic" I can think of from the 1980's!

Certainly that was a major attraction to me, when I chose to buy a
DeLorean.  After many years of welding and bodging and re-painting on a
succession of rotten classic cars.

J M O

Best regards
Chris Parnham