Re: [doc] DeLorean in Auto Trader

Chris Parnham wrote:

> Most buyers would expect a car to be "running" / Driving OK , Mot'd etc.
> If you have a perfectly good interior, advertising that all the interior
> has been repainted or replaced leads to question, why?  Was this an old
> wreck that been done up?

I know you're playing devil's advocate but I wanted to address this
question - we sell a fantastic aerosol dye for re-colouring a
grey-interior car. I can't take the credit for finding this stuff (and
it's not the american stuff) it's especially mixed to match the colour
of a grey delorean interior, and once applied, forms basically a brand
new surface. It's very rare to find a DeLorean with a grey interior that
isn't at least slightly sun-bleached. Brown dashboards anyone? I -know-
you've seen cars with inteirors re-dyed using our stuff and I bet you
never realised, other than thinking "that's a very tidy interior". When
you see Andy Snell's car in the flesh, remember to look.

> I'd prefer to advertise it as a car with a
> great as new interior and leave it at that. Folk expect the water pump
> not to leak and the rubber gaiters to be OK etc.  This is just my
> opinion.

...which is why I've used my experience to do all the stuff that has a
habit of failing (through age or poor quality parts). I get a lot of
exposure to cars that have been "played" with - it's a real treat to
find a car that's been left un-touched, or worked on by someone who knew
what they were doing. FWIW Nigel's new car has a lot of evidence of
modification, but almost without exception, I'm really impressed with
the work (the stereo bracket is a good example). In the event that
someone takes a car that I've worked on to another mechanic, I want them
to say "whoever did this had their head screwed on the right way". Tinny
is my pet project and not a customer's car, but this still holds true.

> But obviously it's your car and you can market it how you like.
> Generally speaking car prices have dropped significantly in the last
> couple of years, again not DeLorean's, but for many other classics as
> well as everyday one's.  I can remember when MK 2 Jags were regularly
> selling for 20-30K, now you can get a good one for 5k.

But any owner selling a D would be daft to drop the price now due to the
changes in the BTI rules. This has wiped out all the advantage of the
weaker dollar right now

Martin.

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk