[doc] Re: Replacement Side Mirror Glass

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:30:17 -0000,
"John Chapelhow" <chapelhow@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A quick recap to save searching the archives....
>
> I have been searching for somewhere where I could get the side
> mirror glass cut so that it included the blind-spot function.
[snip]
> £40 the pair seems excessive, but factor is two DMCH originals
> @ $25 and add-on blind-spots and I suppose its not too bad (he
> says trying to convince hiimself).
[snip]
> I will be ordering mine on Monday
[snip]
> Of course if someone else on the list knows
> of anywhere else, please speak up!

I hate to rain on your parade, but the blindspot
mirrors might be quite a disappointment...

Over two years ago Walter Coe from Florida tried hand cutting
several mirrors from larger truck mirrors in order to have
convex glass to reduce the blind spot.
I traded him a couple of heating pads for a set of his rejects for
an experiment of my own, so I have a set of mirrors lying here.

There are a couple of difficulties with
convex mirrors that you need to be aware of...

1) glass on the mirrors of a DeLorean sit relatively deep in their
housing, therefor a lot of the gained viewing angle will be taken
up by the reflection of the inside of the black housing...

2) the housings on a "D" are slanted back, as is the glass in them,
opposed to most modern cars where the mirrors sit much closer to
90degrees on the bodywork. This, conbined with the limited range
of motion of the glass also limits your field of view...

3) the mounting plate inside the housing is flat, blindspot glass
isn't, so mounting it will be difficult to say the least...

These 3 items are the main causes I still don't have Walts' glass
on my car; I need to make spacers to take up the convex portion,
set the glass less deep in the housing and while I'm at it, I want
to reduce the "slant" of the glass with them too...

But before I do so, I have to take up the slack in the adjusting
system beacause it's loose and lets the glass shake like mad at speeds
over 60mph. And getting to the adjusters it isn't easy to say the least...

I'm currently looking at mounting a couple of extra mirrors on the
A-pillars INSIDE the car, so I have a wider viewing angle AND still
have some rear view with the door(s) up...
And having them inside doesn't mess up the lines of the car either...

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
Living the Dream...   Driving a DeLorean...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000