Re: V55/5 Registration Help - Reply (sorry if long)

Re: V55/5 Registration Help - Reply (sorry if long)

Hi Rich,

DVLA retain the V55/5 when you register the car. I've got a sheet
somewhere that tells you what boxes to fill in on the form.
The main ones are:
Country of origin
Year of manufacture
Make and Model
Chassis number (and engine number) if known
CC of engine (2849??)
Body type - Coupe
Seats - you can leave blank as I think that only applies to minibuses
and coaches.
Axle type - I think thats the heading - is '2 axle rigid'
Mileage
Fuel type
You also need to fill in your details on the second page and sign it.
Best thing to do, is look at the V5 registration document for your
regular car and compare them. The main things they ask for appear on
the V5.
When you go to your local VRO with the V55/5, you will also need:
Customs and Excise form CE386
Licence fee (for 6mths or 12mths) plus £25 first registration fee
Certificate of insurance (your insurer can issue this based on the
car's chassis number)
A valid MOT certificate - again this can be issued based on Chassis
number.
A copy of the USA registration document.
I also took loads of supporting documents including paperwork
supplied to us by the shipping companies so that everything was
covered.

Another thing I did was scan and print off some of the original
documents, especially the USA title, as DVLA retain these.

It is also worth putting the month of build of the car too - this way
you will get the correct suffix registration (W or X) for the age of
the car - if I remember rightly your's is an early-ish vin# so you
should get a W reg.

The main thing that held up getting Flopsy registered was not having
the C&E386 (which they had never sent us), so I had a nice trip in
boiling hot weather all the way from Stevenage, to Tilbury Customs to
collect the form, then on to Luton VRO to finally get the car
registered. Make sure you get this, as Southampton, Bristol and
Tilbury are a lot further from you then they are from me!

Also, due to new rules, you will need to take your driving licence or
passport as ID when you go to get number plates made up. This is in
addition to the form that DVLA will give you advising you of your new
registration number. This is basically a new ruling to try and stop
people buying registration plates with no proof of ownership of the
car in question.

Hope this helps,

Claire