Tips for adjustment (sorry long) ........was.....Re: [doc] Torsion bar j

Tips for adjustment (sorry long) ........was.....Re: [doc] Torsion bar jig -

On the subject of torsion bars, I helped adjust both torsion bars on
Alistair's red DeLorean at the weekend, all went well just one notch
on each bar was required.

Interesting and some what worrying to see that a notch had been cut
into the end of the passenger side bar, it was obviously purpose cut
as it was so acurate, it was deep enough to sink your finger nail
into, very weird!.

A few tips for torsion bar adjustment:

1) Never Ever use anything other than the correct imperial Allen key
in the end of the torsion bar, always use a breaker bar at least 3'
in length and put something between the rear door hinge and the
torsion bar to prevent accidental scratching, a playing card does
the trick, a Top-Trumps card may also suitable ;-)

2) Work from the side of the car that has the torsion bar you are
adjusting on, i.e if the passenger bar needs adjustment then work
from the passenger side, this ensures that your adjustment bar will
be pushing downwards, with some padding you can use your shoulder to
steady/absorb the twisting.

3) Use one of your hands to steady the elbow of you adjustment bar,
this is because the hole that the bar runs through in the fibreglass
body is bigger than the bar itself and so can move around.

4) As you are supporting the bar get your assistant to loosen the
support bracket bolts a couple of turns this way you should be able
to see the support bracket twist as you slightly raise and lower
your adjustment bar, this is a great way of understanding the amount
of twisting power in the bar before you go beyond the point of no
return.

5) Make sure you line the plate up when removing and replacing the
bolts and don't let the tension off until they are tight, I did this
when 1st doing my passenger torsion bar and stripped the thread of
two of the bolts. I then ended up holding the bar on my shoulder for
20 minutes whilst my dad went to find a replacement bolt!

I too looked at making a jig, and had a design for one that even if
the key slipped out of the bar it would not be able to spin and
cause the rear windscreen and T-Pannel damage.

But I found it so simple to adjust them without it I never got
around to making it.

Paul,

Am I right in thinking that your passenger bar was stuck in the
support bracket, did you ever resolve that problem?

Regards

James RG