RE: [doc] Wiring Harness

I think you should go back to your previous idea of taking the binnacle off
to have a look at the connections there. There isn't really that much likely
to go wrong in the wiring loom apart from 2 main possibilities. The
connections at backs of conectors can corrode/break. It is usually fairly
easy to spot a suspicious connector. The other possibility is that as
happened in my car, some dilbert has put a screw through several wires
somewhere.

Having spent several days tearing apart my wiring loom to replace a melted
wire, I know how much work is involved in accessing it. To actually remove
it would I believe have involved removing all the front lights/side markers,
not forgetting the fuel pump wire too. So I repaired mine in place, had to
remove steering column, pedal box, centre console, A/C panel and so on. A
lot of work for something that may well not cure your problem. As for your
mega connector block, the only one I can think of is the half a dozen or so
connectors you get in the engine bay, there's no connectors before the fuse
block, so you would be rewiring that too.

As for removal of the binnacle, it's not too hard. I make it a lot easier
to access the small nuts in question by removing the 2 knee pads and the air
pipe if I remember correctly. It was much easier to use a nut driver to
remove the nuts, rather than try to get a spanner up there. I remove just 4
nuts (the back 4?) then unscrew 2 screws that go horisontally into base of
binnacle. A long handled screwdriver goes through some nice handy holes in
the steering column support to reach these screws.

Rich