Re: [doc] Re: 'Modern' style air conditioning

Re: [doc] Re: 'Modern' style air conditioning

You could try taking the binnacle off and cleaning up the contacts on the two plugs there. The speedo cable does not just pull off, it is held with a clip that has to be released first.

Don't take your ramps back - they're excellent on the rear wheels. What locking wheel nut have you got? A good workshop should be able to remove them (I actually have a few spare new original ones on the shelf). I went through this on my project car which had locking nuts on the rear. Turned out later that the nuts I had were the same as Stuart's and he has the tool for them.

The temp guage problem may be related to the guage itself because the symptoms you describe sound like something that changes after the ignition is turned off - perhaps a diode has failed and this allows a capacitor to discharge.... maybe it's the connection to the sensor is dodgy.... sorry, lots of maybes :-). The oil pressure guage is more strange, but a lot of them are really dodgy because the original senders were not very good. Mine dances all over the place. You can still drive the car if you trust your pressure switch.

Martin

jchapelhow wrote:

All.

A quick update. Bought inspection ramps from Halford's, before I read Martin's commenct about them being useless without removing the front spoiler, doh!

A couple of planks of wood later (I love low tech solutions!) and it would have been possible to raise the car on the trolley jack. I then tried to remove the locking wheel nut without success.

Plan B, then. With the car a couple of inches off the ground I could just reach the wires the ground the gauges. Cleaned them off, lots of electrical contact cleaner, reconnected and it made no difference.

Plan C. Disconnect the wires from the front ground point, run a dedicated wire from there to the ground point on the engine mount, still no difference.

The temp gauge still raises by itself when the ignition is switched to the off position, and the oil pressure gauge moves when the doors are opened. Gauge moves much quicker when the lights are switched on.

Suggestions please?

John Chapelhow
DOC 19 : 'Boeing' 0737

DOC UK Website: www.delorean.co.uk