Re: [doc] Re: A few questions

Nick Tomlinson wrote:

Hi, of course the turbo on this type of engine is a bodge as it was an afterthought to try and increase the engine power prior to the release of the Twin-Turbo.

The Island kit is actually based on the Legend twin prototype.

The engine is a V6 where the V is space 90 degrees apart. The V should really be 60 degrees for the pistons to be equally spaced apart.

How do you work that out? 90, 60, or even 0 degrees (inline), makes no difference AFAIK - edumacate me?

(Originally the engine was designed to be a V8 but the oil crisis made them chop 2 cylinders off!) The top of the distributor looks wierd as the HT points are not equally spaced apart. This is because the firing stroke is not even. The engine will run but the result is an unequal balanced engine with not the best gas-flow in the world.

Actuallty the odd-fire PRV is perfectly balanced thanks to counterweights on the crankshaft

The Renault turbo and delorean turbo would have to have its innards (crank) re-designed to give equal firing to make the gas flow a lot more even to satisfy the turbo design.

Correct, the Renault 25 turbo has an even firing crank. But it goes a lot further than that.

Oh I sound boring now....bla bla bla....Another thing about the turbo's is that there is no air-air intercooling. If we consider Boyles Law (ideal gas) Pv=nrt if the air pressure is
increased for a set volume then there will be an increase in gas (simplification here I know as the volume in a cylinder changes due to the stroke of the piston) and this can lead to high temperature detonation sproblems. If you have a look on the true delorean there are intercoolers between the turbos and the inlet manifold.

This was actually somethig that enver worked properly for Legend. If you look att the Alpines, the intercooler is moutned along the rear of the engine compartment and relies on air drawn up through the engine bay. I prefer the Lotus Chargecoolers, but that's just "mr complicated" here.... Intercoolers have advantages and disadcantages - the advantage is increasing the density of the air by cooling it after the turbo. The disadvantage is that the turbo has to pressurise a much bigger volume, which increases turbo lag. The 90bhp Citroen/Peugeot HDi engine does not have an intercooler for ths reason. The 110hp version which I have in my Xantia has an intercooler, is more powerful, cleaner, more economical and IMO nicer to drive, so I'm not disagreeing with you that intercoolers are a must :-)

This also assumes that the air-fuel ratio at high revs with boost does not go lean. Some bodges are to re-enable the cold-start valve when full throttle is enabled (on vw engines with k-jetronic for example).

The Island kit uses hobbs switches to disconnect the lambda sensor sending the lambda computer into "limp" (ir slightly rich) mode.The best solution long-term is to use the K-Star system from Milford together with a J&S Spark controller and knock sensor.

In my opinion (and its an opinion) the boost pressure should not be more then 0.6-0.8Bar

DeLorean engine should go no higher than 8psi boost. (14.7psi = 1 bar IIRC)

Martin

.