Re: [doc] steering joints and cats!!

Hi all,

would just like to add my 2pth here...... the Dutch pipes are really
good quality stainless steel - Flopsy, Lex, Tinny and PSO (to name
but a few) are sporting these now and they look good and do the job
perfectly. DGS has an aforementioned 'bit of bent pipe' (which was
manufactured by Mark at a time when the stainless pipes were not
available) which will soon be changed for one of the Dutch ones due
to rusting and its starting to blow.

Catalysts were not a legal UK requirement until 1993, so any car made
before then does not have to undergo a cat test during the annual MOT.

Remember that most of the cats on our cars are over 22yrs old now and
as many DeLoreans havent seen much use and get laid up for a long
period of time, it is not surprising that the cats are now breaking
up and failing. The normal life span of a catalyst in a modern car
is about 5-6 years, but they have to warm up to be effective which
can sometimes take up to 10 miles. In my days at Vauxhall, we had
low mileage (under 20k) Corsa's with cats needing replacing at less
then 3yrs old as they were failing due to lack of use, whereas the
high milers like ex-company Cavaliers and Vectras were still on their
original cats at 150,000 miles + (Daves Cavalier still on original
catalyst with 158,000 on clock).

Bye for now,

Claire
#2292 'Flopsy'