From: jchapelhow
To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 8:31 PM
Subject: [doc] New Owner if the 'Isle Of Man' car.

All.

Greetings to you from another member of the club to finally take the
plunge and put his money where his dream was.

I am very pleased to have taken delivery of MMG 287W, the now
infamous 'Isle of Man' car. John Whitehead has been the proud owner
for many years and regular subscribers to the club mag will know that
the car has been the mainstay of the 'On the forecourt' for quite
some time.

Following several failed attempts, I acquired sufficient funds to buy
the car followning my 30th birthday. The re-named 'Boeing' (VIN 0737)
was given the Dave Howarth seal of approval on Saturday 29th March.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks to
all those who have suffered my relentless queries over the last
couple of months and their invaluable advice and endless patience.
Mark Bourne, Chris Parnham and Dave Howarth have given me a smooth
transition from associate member to 'happiest bloke in Lancashire'.

Although I had been told about it, nothing really prepares you for
the amount of attention the car gets from other road users.

Thus far I can report that the car is everything I ever dreamed of.
Since it has not been used regularly the brakes squeal, and the
parking brake is inopperable. Both easy fixes apparently...

More interesting is the car's tendancy to choose how fast it wants to
go. She has no problem starting, or even staring when hot, however
under normal operation tends to run at an idle speed of >3000rpm.
Indeed at several points on the way home from Dave's I was doing
40mph in forth without touching the accelerator. On Dave's advice I
disconnected the cold-start plug which made no difference. Several
restarts later and the problem settled down with an idle speed of
~1000rpm.

This may just be something that cures itself? In the meantime it
makes pulling upto traffic lights 'interesting' with it making me out
to be a 'boy racer' trying to get away first!

Does anyone have key blanks to sell before I order them from the US?

Regards

John Chapelhow

Living the dream, driving a De Lorean (finally!!!)
DOC 19 : VIN 0737 : MMG 287W

DOC UK Website: www.delorean.co.uk