Re: [doc] Reg plates and model years

In message <MEEMLHCOPECBKGMAKNJDCEOHCLAA.cp@xxxx>, Chris Parnham <cp@xxxx> writes

After 1963 we got up to 3 letters and up to 3 numbers followed by "A" so it
could be AAA 111 A,
or AAA 1A etc.
In 1964 it was a "B" , AAA 123B, etc...for the next 20 years.

Some regions started with the new system in January 1963 with A - but some regions didn't. It's why plates in the form ABC 123A are quite unusual. The plate change was moved to August (was that for B, another reason why As are so few?).

The August changeover remained until 99.

To use up the numbers, T-V-W-X-Y prefix plates were issued in March 99, September 99, March 2000, September 2000, March 2001 respectively, with the new system starting as '51' indicating latter half (5) of 2001 (1).

Richard (prefers the US system).
--
Richard Kilpatrick, long haired prophet of doom. |\ _,,,---,,_
Musical suicide - www.mp3.com/RichardKilpatrick /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,