RE: [doc] FW: [DML] Fuel Suction Hose - 106287

RE: [doc] FW: [DML] Fuel Suction Hose - 106287

Just thought I'd share my experiences with the fuel tank, pickup hose etc.

When I got my car the fuel tank was full of mulch, the boot needed
replacing and the pickup hose was really floppy. I also needed a new fuel
pump. Addiitnally my car is early enought hat the baffle did not have the
base. The original pickup filter was also a write-off.

I got a new tank from Dave/Chris, fuel pump from the Diesel Centre, and a
new pickup filter and pump boot from wingray. Although the original pickup
hose was floppy, after a bit of cleaning, seemed perfectly okay. Also got a
baffle base from PJ Grady much later on down the line.

The car drove fine for about 1000 miles, but then the fuel pump started to
sing. I investigated putting a spring in the hose and this seemed to make
it worse, so I took it out. Still bad.

It was then that I discovered that the "pancake" style pickup filter was
getting clogged - whatever was clogging it was present in the new fuel
tank, and too small to see with the naked eye. A blow-through with a shop
air hose fixed the problem for about 3 miles.

I was slightly put off by the price of the pickup filters and the
likelyhood of it hapenning again, so I investigated an alternative. For £6
I bought an in-line fuel filter from a logal MG place. It's a proper
cylindrical element and was really easy to cut up the old pickup hose and
fit it in the line. I also clamped it down to the arm of the baffle with a
hose clip. It's been running like this for the best part of a year and 3000
miles. It sings a bit when the fuel's low as the filter's a bit restrictive
(1/4" ports), and having an open end on the pickup means it hiccups a bit
when low. I would very much like to invest in a new hose and proper pickup,
but don't want to fall foul of the filter getting clogged again.

I like the idea of John Hervey's design - and it's been duplicated
(actually before John brought his out) by James RG. The OEM design seems
really daft to me - I think the only reason it's like that is so the pickup
is placed in the middle of the tank. What do you guys think?

Martin