6776

James
Small world eh? I knew part of the story about my car, but I hadn't realised
you had owned it. I was told that the car was abandoned on an Indian
Reservation for a couple of years and then bought by Stan Marks. This would
account for the poor dried out state of the dashboard and seats.
I bought it on EBay in an auction run by the guy in California (Robert
Calder). I got Don Steger to act as my agent and complete the transaction.
He then set to work on it, new windscreen, transmission repairs, recovered
the seats, electrical updates, new tires, new sun visor, recovered the roof
lining, door locks etc. I spent about $7000 with Don.
Car was with Don for ages, but was finally shipped over from California.
Apart from a flat battery I was able to drive it home from the Thames
dockyard. Had some problems with UK Customs charges but eventually they
agreed that the car was classed as a collector's item and therefore was free
of duty.
I had some initial problems with the car. Don had forgotten to put
gearbox/transmission oil in when he replaced it. I just thought I had a
noisy car until it ground to a halt and wouldn't move. I had the gearbox
rebuilt but Don was honest enough to pay the £500 repair bill after some
coaxing. I also had some overheating problems and broke down with coolant
all over the street. Mark Bourne added a switch where I can manually start
the cooling fans if I think the gauge is getting too high and since then it
has been fine. I sat in a traffic jam for 40 minutes last year without any
problem.
Last year I had the aircon regassed, but this year it seems to be half gone
again. Maybe when I feel a bit richer I'll do something about it.
The car has been reliable since and performed really well on the Eurofest
weekend. However the dashboard still needed recovering. I bought a new
binnacle from DeLorean Houston and now Mark Bourne has it. Mark has arranged
with another UK member to recover it and when he gets back from Memphis he's
going to refit the dash. Should be ready for Super Car Sunday without the
need for the dashmat which has been hiding the car's secret shame!
If you or Mark are still picking up your emails from the hotel, then you can
ask Mark all about it. If I win the lottery tonight then I'll fly over
tomorrow and we can have a beer.
Paul Feagan

Message: