Re: [doc] Delorean electrics

james_hartshorn_uk wrote:

> Hi I recently bought a Delorean after 21 years of waiting
> (interested since 1980 at the tender age of 10!)
>
> I recently heard about a potential fire hazzard with the electric fan
> wiring on the cars and I'm after some info on what, where and how to
> check and cure it, if I need to.

There's no fire hazard as such - everything's fused (although the fuses for the headlights sometimes melt :-). If your cooling
fans fail (which they CAN), you risk overheating fairly obviously. Look to the far left of the relay compartment - is there a
blue module in the bottom corner? THis is the fan fail module and prone to failing. It should be removed and replaced with
jumper wires.

> On the electrics front, I'm cleaning the earth's up at the moment and
> I've got the door trims off, the power window on the passenger side
> works but continues to try to close at it's maximum position, now
> I've heard this is a common prob on "D's" but there must be a switch
> or device somewhere in it to stop this, any help?

Sounds to me like the switch needs attention - ie it's getting stuck ON when you push it up. Presumably when you click "down"
it stops? Invest in a can of Sevisol10 switch cleaner/lubricant and spray the inside of the switch liberally. You can buy it
from Maplin/Farnell/RS

> Final question, honest...
>
> I took the rear dimistor switch out to check why the dash light comes
> on when the thing is switched off and the bloody thing fell to bits
> in my hand, now I've talked to Dave and I know these are pricey,

You can get reproduction ones from Houston/Wingray which are much better. However you can reassemble the switch, though
without pulling mine apart again I can't describe how. It baffles me how anyone ever conceived of such a daft design, but if
you want to send me your switch bits, I'll fix it for you. You can send your lock module too if you want that
strenthening/fixing.

Martin