[doc] Re: BTI Appeals

It's a joke! Another short sighted government goalpost change!

They don't realise it means extra revenue in fuel duty, vat, road
tax, insurance premium tax etc etc - how many people will be put off
importing now? Me for a start.

Surely, in relative terms, the Delorean is a rare car? - It would be
interesting to see the official cut-off point for production
numbers. I doubt there is one. I work for the government (MOD) and
this smacks of someone 'accidently' noticing the upturn in 'D's
being imported, due to the favourable dollar/pound, and adding
another 'nugget' to their CV. (Forgive my rant)

Simon DOC 275

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
> Well apparently things haven't changed - other than HMCE coming
down on
> the BTI department for issueing too many BTI's on all sorts of
goods as
> "item of historic nterest". There are literally thousands of
DeLoreans
> out there. This, in their view, makes them not rare enough to
qualify.
> You need to be importing something of real historic significance
(a
> "turning point in the industry" was her exact phrase) of which
fewer
> than 100 survive. I'm paraphrasing that bit
>
> Martin
>
> colmnugent wrote:
>
> > It is possible to appeal a BTI classification as follows:
> >
> > The Finance Act 1994 contained the main legal provision for an
> > independent appeals system for most C&E written decisions issued
on
> > or after 1 January 1995.
> >
> > The system for resolving disputes about tariff classification
> > decisions is a two stage process.
> >
> > 1.  The first stage is mandatory and involves a formal
departmental
> > review of the decision by Customs.
> >
> > **You have 45 days from the date of the issue of the BTI
decision to
> > request a review**.
> >
> > A Reviewing Officer who has had no previous involvement in the
> > original decision will be appointed to review the case. They will
> > send you an acknowledgement letter giving you their contact
details
> > and setting out the deadline for their reply. Customs has 45 days
> > from receipt of your request in which to carry out the review and
> > notify you in writing of the outcome. The Reviewing Officer may
need
> > to contact you to ask for further information.
> >
> > 2.  The second stage gives you the option to take the matter
further
> > and appeal against the Reviewing Officer's decision to the VAT
and
> > Duties Tribunal. The Tribunal is independent of Customs. You
have 30
> > days from the date of the Reviewing Officer's letter to lodge
your
> > appeal with the Tribunal. You cannot appeal to Tribunal without
> > first requesting a formal departmental review.
> >
> > To request a Departmental review of a BTI decision write to:
> >
> > Customs & International Trade Review & Appeals Team
> > 3rd Floor North East
> > Alexander House
> > 21 Victoria Avenue
> > Southend on Sea
> > Essex  SS99 1AA
> >
> > Tel: 01702 366157
> > Fax: 01702 366488
> >
> > All courtesy of the C&E website.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Colm
> > DOC 411
> >

> > Further information is contained in Notice 900 Excise and Customs
> > Appeals.
> >

> > DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk
> > ** Unless otherwise stated, all messages posted to the group are
> > assumed public and may be printed in the club magazine **
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> > click here

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129jqfbc0/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
76/D=groups/S=1705126215:HM/EXP=1096037015/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf
6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

subject=Unsubscribe>