Re: [doc] Vin5789 - Help, I Need Advice On New Steering Rack, Etc

Re: [doc] Vin5789 - Help, I Need Advice On New Steering Rack, Etc

Hi Chris

I hope you don't mind a response to your mail, on two specific points:

I’d be happy to entrust it
> to Martin, but there are other “re-furbishers” you could try. I was only
> discussing them  the other day with Chris Spratt,  who knows some-one who
> can do the work. So don’t panic.

I'm going to find it hard to write this tactfully but here goes. I've
already spoken to Chris S about this and I think he knows our position.
I've personally had a rack done by Chris' friend, and others have too.
The problem there is that you have to deliver it and collect it, and the
results are quite a long way short of the results from the people we
use. He also could not get hold of a certain bearing for ages for one
rack. I'm not suggesting that he does a poor job - the rack on my
project car "Tinny" was done there, and I'm not about to turn around and
have it done again! I've heard accounts from other classic car places
who use the same supplier as us, and their opinion is always of the
highest order.

> The other work is perfectly routine, all the info is out there. You can buy
> a standard red plastic horn from Halfords 10 GBP.  Wiper Blades from “Wilko’
> s” 4 GBP per set. ( yes you could spend a fortune on genuine Bosch, but I
> don’t)

Chris - can we do an experiment? I would like to supply you a set of our
new blades. If you don't think they're streets ahead of your cheap ones,
then you owe us nothing. If I manage to convert you, consider it my next
year's subs....?

Ever since owning my Citroen BX, I've always liked to buy the most
expensive wipers I can find (that particular car only has one wiper and
for some reason, BX screens are really smeary). I applied the same logic
to my DeLorean and haven't looked back. In fact, when Claire and Dave's
"Flopsy" arrived, it had spare new original blades still in the car. We
fitted them, and they were terrible. I convinced Claire to buy some
expensive Bosch wipers, and *they're still on the car* 18 months later,
and working a treat. And yes, Claire does drive it in the rain!

I put some time into sourcing these wipers so we can undercut Halfords
on what we feel are the best wipers for the DeLorean

Martin
DMUK

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/HliolB/TM