Re: [doc] Poll results for doc-uk

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "neal barclay" <neal.barclay@xxxx> wrote:
> I think the 10 voters should watch the bbc 4 program
> again
> neal

Quite...

I've never really understood the JZD evangelisation. He was a maverick
businessman, kudos to him for that (and I wouldn't have turned down
his wife at the time, either), but he wasn't really anything more (nor
should he be) - he wasn't engaged in some noble crusade to turn
unemployment in Belfast around - it could quite easilly have been a
car from an entirely different country. The car (from prototype to
production) was a series of engineering concepts from different people
bearing DeLorean's name (bar the doors, etc). I think you only have to
look at how much he comprimised on the inner workings of the car,
leaving it essentially an Esprit, to see how much he wanted a car
produced with his name on, at any cost. The fact that the car runs and
goes, and looks as good as it does doing it, has, I feel, very little
to do with the man himself. Watching that show and re-reading a few
books has also made me feel that the whole "Save the company no matter
what" was him trying to save face and not be seen to publically fail,
rather than safeguarding the jobs of the factory workers, a pretence
which I think he keeps up even today - the whole "The Government had
Colin Chapman Killed" is absurd, and, to a good number of people,
probably quite offensive.

At best, I guess you could say he was a man with too many fingers in
too many pies.

...But I guess this isn't the place for such conversation :)

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk