RE: [doc] Advice required - Classic Cars/Unleaded (not a DeLorean)
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: [doc] Advice required - Classic Cars/Unleaded (not a DeLorean)



Hi Claire,

My 1987 Peugeot 205 was designed to run on leaded
petrol, but since the year leaded petrol got banned in
UK, it has been running with unleaded petrol + lead
replacement additive ever since.

It's running fine so far (as far as I can tell, but I
haven't taken the engine apart to examin fully if
anything is really going wrong), and I do put quite a
bit of milage on it.

Not sure if it's of any help, but the lead replacement
I have always used is the Castrol "valve master" Lead
Replacement:
http://www.autoparts-online.co.uk/images/nov99/valvemstr.jpg

http://www.autoparts-online.co.uk/archives/prodnov99.htm

You can get them in BP petrol station and Halfords...

Regards,
John Tien
DOC 8
RHD 3046

--- Claire Usher <claire_usher71@xxxxxxxxxxx> 說:

> Hi all,
> 
> just wondered if I could pick the brains of anyone
> out there with 
> experience of older classic cars.
> 
> I'm hoping to buy a rather gorgeous 1968 Sunbeam
> Rapier that I've 
> seen and the owner said that it had an alloy head so
> wasnt sure about 
> conversion to or if it was safe to run on unleaded
> petrol as it is 
> (its the 1725cc twin carburettor unit).  He said he
> just puts 
> unleaded in with an additive, but has hardly used
> the car so he's not 
> sure if he's doing it any harm or not.
> 
> Has anyone got experience of using 'drop in' fuel
> catalysts that are 
> advertised or whether it is ok to just use normal
> unleaded with a 
> fuel additive?  I dont really want to go to all the
> expense of having 
> the head redone with hardened valve seats and having
> to muck about 
> with the timing to overcome 'pinking'.  When I had
> my last 'old' car 
> (1960 Ford 100E Pop), I was told that because it
> wasnt doing many 
> miles, it didnt matter about putting unleaded in it
> because it had 
> had 40 years of carbon deposits so it wouldnt do it
> any harm - also, 
> you could still buy '4 star' then.
> 
> I'm not selling Flopsy btw, I'm just looking to add
> to my fleet :o)  
> I've actually always wanted an early 60's Consul
> Capri or Consul 
> Classic, but they are getting hard to find in good
> condition and 
> Capri's especially are fetching alot of money now
> :o(  (The Consul 
> Capri should not to be confused with the later Ford
> Capri I hasten to
> add)
> 
> With any luck, if I do get the Rapier tomorrow, I'll
> be taking 'it' 
> (havent thought of a name yet) to a classic car show
> near Hull on 
> Sunday......uh oh, I've just heard about a Consul
> Classic that has 
> come up for sale near me....oh decisions decisions!!
> 
> Anyway, if anyone's got any info, it would be
> gratefully appreciated.
> 
> Cheers all,
> 
> Claire
> #2292
> Cavalier
> + ????
> DOC170

_______________________________________
 YM - 離線訊息
 就算你沒有上網,你的朋友仍可以留下訊息給你,當你上網時就能立即看到,任何說話都冇走失。
 http://messenger.yahoo.com.hk


DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk
Unsubscribe: doc-uk-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
** Unless otherwise stated, all messages posted to the group are assumed public and may be printed in the club magazine ** 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doc-uk/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    doc-uk-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 




Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN 嚜�


Copyright ProjectVixen.com. All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated