Re: [doc] Please help...stainless cleaning!

Re: [doc] Please help...stainless cleaning!

Hi Thomas,

The first thing to do is go to your local shop and buy a really cheap 4-pack of kitchen roll.

Then get hold of an old Mr. Muscle sprayer bottle.

Clean it out thoroughly then fill it with water.

Wash the car as normal with hot water (I also add a bit of bubblebath!) to get all the big bits of mud off etc then let it dry naturally.

Fold your paper towel into 1/4 then spray the water onto the towel (NOT the car). Don't use too much water or else the paper towel will turn to slush! Just make sure that it feels slightly damp.

Take it slowly one panel at a time and rub strongly along the grain. Take a look at your paper towel and there should be some dirt and grime on there.

Keep repeating this process until the paper towel doesn't show any more dirt.  BUT Be careful not to press down too hard on the bonnet/hood or else you'll end up with an X-pattern where the stainless presses onto the fibreglass on the inside!

Keep your car out of strong sunlight when you clean it as seems to dry the water on the panels and leave a smear. I do use white spirits quite happilly on the stainless too, but I only use this when water won't shift the dirt or stain (e.g. if there's a spot of oil or tar on the panel.) If you're using white spirits, do it outside.

Be patient with this technique and you should get good results. I've used it ever since I got my car and I remember John Chapelhow commenting on the look of my car a while back when we had a meeting at Chris Parnham's house.

Let us know how you get on,

--

Phil Peters
VIN #4400 LHJ 58W